REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS for PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERING SERVICES
for EXPANSION DESIGN of the
LOW POINT WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT
EXPANSION 0.5 to 1.5-MGD
Issued on: December 20, 2019
Pre-Submittal Meeting: January 8, 2020 with Facility Tour
Meet at Johnstown Town Hall at 9:00am
450 S. Parish Johnstown CO. 80534
Due Date: January 31, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Town Council Approval on February 17, 2020
The Town of Johnstown (herein referred to as the Town) is requesting proposals from qualified consultants for design services for the expansion of the Low Point Wastewater Treatment Plant from 0.5-mgd to 1.5mgd (the Project) as described herein.
A. The plant is located at 3269 High Plains Blvd, Johnstown CO. 80534. Wastewater plant was constructed and placed on line in 2006. The plant has been operated and maintained by the Town of Johnstown since 2006.
B. This Request for Proposals (RFP) describes the project in general, the required scope of services, the selection process, and the minimum information that must be included with the proposal. Failure to submit information in accordance with the requirements and procedures listed herein may be cause for disqualification.
C. The information contained in this RFP is the Town’s best understanding of the current needs and approach on how to address them, but the Town is open to creative and beneficial modifications to the scope of work described herein based on the consultant’s professional expertise in these subject areas. If the consultant believes there is a better way to achieve the Town’s goals, then that should be reflected in their proposal.
D. Questions and Clarifications
1. Any questions concerning this Request for Proposals should be directed to the person listed below. No interpretation or clarification of the meaning of the instructions or scope of services will be made orally except for general information that does not require a clarification. Every request for such interpretation should be in writing, submitted by e-mail and addressed to the individual shown below. To be given consideration, questions must be received at least seven (7) days prior to the date fixed for the submission of proposals. All clarifications and any supplemental instructions will be posted on the Town of Johnstown website at the following address www.townofJohnstown.com Firms should periodically check the website for updates to this Request for Proposals.
2. Address requests to
Director of Public Works
Town of Johnstown
450 S. Parish
Johnstown CO. 80534
I. PRE-SUBMITTAL CONFERENCE
A. An optional pre-submittal conference will be held on
January 8, 2020 beginning at 9:00 a.m. at Johnstown Town Hall, 450 S. Parish, Johnstown CO 80534. followed by a site visit. At this meeting, Town staff will discuss the scope of work, general contract issues and respond to questions from the attendees. All firms interested in this Project should plan to attend the Pre-Submittal Conference. Town staff or Operations staff will not be available for meetings or to respond to individual inquiries regarding the project scope outside of this conference.
II. SCOPE OF SERVICES
A. See Attachment A
III. SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS/PROPOSAL FORMAT
A. Four (4) hard copies of the Proposal and one (1) electronic copy (pdf) on a CD or flash drive must be received by the Town of Johnstown Public Works Department no later than 1:00 pm on January 31, 2020. The Town cannot be responsible for the lack of receipt of proposals by the date and time specified.
B. The Project name and Consultant’s name and address must be shown on the outside of the sealed envelope, addressed to and delivered to:
Director of Public Works.
Johnstown CO. 80534
C. Submittals will NOT be accepted or considered after the deadline. Submittals must be paper copies, appropriately bound; e-mailed or faxed copies will not be accepted.
D. The Proposal must demonstrate specific expertise in the elements of work described herein. Proposals should be bound with the name of the Firm or firms and name of the Project visible on the outside cover. To allow the selection committee sufficient time to properly review all documents in their entirety, each proposal will be limited to 75 pages. The Title Page, Table of Contents, Letter of Transmittal, Section Dividers, and Resumes will not count against the page limits. The Proposal shall contain the following:
1. SECTION 1 - IDENTIFICATION OF PROPOSER: The Proposal shall include the names, offices, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers for Consultant and subconsultant staff that are proposed to be involved in the design, The Proposal shall identify in which office(s) production will occur.
2. SECTION 2 - PROJECT OVERVIEW AND APPROACH: The Proposal shall demonstrate the Consultant’s understanding of the Project and include a statement acknowledging the Scope of Services. The Proposal shall also include a detailed description of the proposed approach to the Project. The description shall include details to implement the tasks described in the Scope of Services. The Consultant is encouraged to provide comments and enhancements to the scope provided in the RFP. The Proposal shall include a discussion regarding the Project’s technical issues and the Consultant’s approach to handling these issues. The Consultant shall also explain how technical memos, workshops, and/or design review meetings will be used, working with the framework of the Scope of Services, to achieve consensus in design details. Emphasis should be placed on how the Consultant’s technical approach will promote the Project’s success.
3. SECTION 3 - MANAGEMENT APPROACH: The Proposal shall include a discussion regarding the Consultant’s management approach, including coordination and monitoring of project schedule, cost, risk, scope, communications, quality, resources, and other management issues that the Consultant feels should be addressed. Emphasis should be placed on how the Consultant’s management approach will promote the Project’s success. The Consultant approach to quality control in the preparation of construction documents shall be clearly described in this section as well.
4. SECTION 4 - STAFF QUALIFICATIONS: The Proposal shall include a team member organizational chart and a listing and biography of key individuals proposed to be assigned to the project. Each individual’s proposed position/responsibility shall be indicated. Special emphasis shall be provided on the individual’s backgrounds, qualifications, certifications, experience on related and/or similar projects, and the location from where their work will be performed. The Proposal shall clearly indicate who will be in responsible charge of the project. At least three client references, including name, description of past working relationship, and current contact information, shall be listed for each key individual who is proposed in the organizational chart. The Proposal shall identify staff who will be assigned to the project for construction support, which will be negotiated later. Consultant/Subconsultant affiliation, and professional engineering licenses, including discipline and state of licensure, shall be designated for each individual. Full resumes, sorted first by firm, then by last name, shall be included as an appendix to the Proposal. Resumes shall be limited to two (2) pages each.
5. SECTION 5 - RELATED PROJECT EXPERIENCE: The Proposal shall include profiles of five (5) similar projects that the firm(s) and proposed team members have completed design in the last ten (10) years including project name, date, description and capacity of project, location, design and construction cost, and client reference including phone number. The firm's role in the project should also be described (preliminary design, design construction management, etc., and prime Consultant, subconsultant, etc.). For each project, indicate which proposed team members worked on the project and describe the role/work they performed and their levels of involvement.
6. SECTION 6 -PROJECT SCHEDULE: The Consultant shall prepare a schedule, showing all major project tasks, milestones, and deliverables required to complete all work.
IV. PROPOSED CONTRACT FEES
A. Submit one copy of your cost proposal in a separate sealed envelope, clearly marked. Proposals that do not provide costs in a sealed envelope may be considered non-responsive and subject to disqualification. Proposed contract fees shall contain a schedule of the estimated man-hours required and broken down by type of personnel to be used for the proposed services. Breakdowns are to be shown separately for each item listed under “Scope of Work”. Overhead factors and other multipliers shall be identified.
B. The consultant shall be responsible for all required resources to include but not limited to computers, surveys, outside consultants, etc.
C. The services described in the scope of work shall be compensated on a time and-expense basis.
V. EVALUATION PROCEDURE
A. The Town of Johnstown will review and evaluate proposals based on the following factors:
C. The evaluation scoring summary is outlined below.
Evaluation Criteria Maximum Points
Qualifications of Firm and Personnel ...................................................... 30
Project Approach and Understanding ..................................................... 25
Capacity and Capability of Firm ............................................................. 20
Cost .................................................................................................. 20
Overall Quality of Proposal .................................................................... 5
D. Selection Process:
1. Proposals will be evaluated based on the written response to selection criteria listed and the cost proposals provided. After receipt and review of proposals, the Town may elect to conduct interviews for some or all firms.
2. It is anticipated that a contract for the prescribed services will be entered into with the consultant that in the opinion of the Town offers the most favorable combination of qualifications, approach, and pricing. Please note that the selection is a quality based selection and the lowest cost proposal is not guaranteed to be the selected firm.
E. Award of Contract
1. The Town anticipates recommending to Town Council, the award of this contract on Thursday, February 17, 2020. The Town reserves the right to reject any and all proposals submitted, to waive any informalities in the proposals submitted, and to award a contract only when it appears to be in the best interest of the Town.
VI. SPECIAL CONDITIONS
A. This RFP does not commit the Town to procure or award a contract for work or to compensate Proposers for proposal preparation expense. All costs to prepare a response to this RFP shall be borne by the proposer
B. All information submitted in response to this RFP shall become the property of the Town, and as such, may be subject to public review as public record.
C. The Town reserves the right to cancel, modify, supplement, add to, delete from or change any part or aspect of this project if it is believed to be in the best interest of the Town.
D. The Town reserves the right to request additional data, information or clarification pertinent to this solicitation after the submittal date, provided that such information is germane to evaluation of the firm’s qualifications from any or all members of submitting consultants. However, the Town shall not be required to request missing information from the submittal which may cause them to be considered non-responsive.
E. The Town shall provide the release of all public information concerning the project, including selection announcements and contract awards. Those desiring to release information to the public must receive prior written approval through the Town.
F. Members of the consultant teams, their agents, lobbyists, attorneys and others shall not contact members of the Town Council, any employee of the Town other than the contact person or any member of the Selection Committee regarding this project or process. Any such contact shall be grounds for automatic disqualification of the consultant team submittal.
G. The Town, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to reject any and all submittals, waive any and all irregularities, and disregard any and all nonconforming or counter submittals.
H. The Town may accept or reject any or all information submitted as part of the RFP.
I. All proposals will be held in confidence until the scheduled agenda for the planned award of the project.
VII. EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
A. The Town of Johnstown is an equal employment opportunity employee. The City endeavors to do business with firms sharing the Town’s commitment to equal opportunity and will not do business with any firm that discriminates on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, medical condition or place of birth.
Scope of Services
Current plant is a Sanitaire hybrid SBR / Intermittent Cycle Extended Aeration System (ICEAS) with a current design flow of .500 MGD. Current flow is between .250 MGD and .300 MGD. We are at a loading of between 73% to 84% for BOD currently.
To upgrade the plant from its existing condition to a 1.5 MGD, the items listed below would need to be addressed along with other recommendations by the selected design engineer.
Add an automatic bar screen prior to the lift pumps and allow for the removal of the screenings. Upgrade the lift pumps to accommodate higher flow, enlarge the channel in the headworks and upgrade the grit removal system. Change the effluent pipe from the headworks building to the splitter box to eliminate the trapping of grease etc.; Enlarge the splitter box to the basins; Add (4) new basins; Upgrade aeration system (current blowers not sufficient to operate new basins) Investigate need for larger piping to accommodate new blowers. Upgrade chemical pumps and tanks OR put in U.V.